We will guide you symptoms and treatment, prevention of jaundice in cats. Yellow skin (Jaundice) in cats is an overgrowth of bilirubin in the blood to the tissues that make the skin and mucous membranes of the eyes, mouth, and gums yellow. Red blood cell damage and liver dysfunction are the main causes of jaundice.
Symptoms of jaundice in cats
- Most visible yellow in the mucous membranes of the eyes, gums and thin skin at the base of the cat’s ear.
- Tired, slow, dull
- Poor appetite, stop eating, weight loss quick, ragged fur.
- Shortness of breath, abdominal breathing.
- Vomiting, diarrhea.
- Pain in the abdomen.
- Drink water and urinate more than normal.
Can be divided into 3 types cause jaundice in cats
Causes of “before the liver” (Prehepatic causes)
Occurs before blood passes through the liver
- Blood parasites: hemobartonellosis, cytauxzoonosis.
- Due to drug overdose causing drug poisoning.
- Anemia due to decreased immune system.
- Shock reaction due to blood transfusion.
- Reduce the amount of phosphorus in the blood.
- Heartworm disease (rare in cats).
Causes in the liver (Hepatic causes)
Occurs due to a physical condition of the liver
- Fatty liver (hepatic lipidosis).
- Hepatitis or cholecystitis, or both.
- Heavy metal poisoning: mouse bait, lice treatment, chemicals …
- Poisoning diazepam treatment group acetaminophen, griseofulvin.
- Tumors, liver cancer.
- Damage to the liver caused by bacterial, viral, protozoal diseases.
- Chronic liver cirrhosis.
Causes “after liver” (Posthepatic Causes)
- Gallbladder inflammation, gallstones.
- Gallbladder cancer
- Digestion in the small intestine is causing cholestasis.
How to diagnose jaundice in cats
1. Blood components: red blood cell count, complete blood count (CBC), blood glucose, blood fat, electrolytes, liver enzymes.
2. X-ray or ultrasound of the abdomen for foreign bodies, liver and gallbladder measurements.
3. Diagnosis of serum, immunity to screen for infectious diseases that can damage liver and red cells: feline leukemia virus, feline immunodeficiency virus, feline infectious peritonitis virus, toxoplasmosis.
How to prevent jaundice in cats
- Inject all necessary vaccines regularly.
- Avoid exposure to the environment with toxic chemicals, detergents.
- Anti-lice medications must be prescribed by a veterinarian.
- Not wearing a ticks collar of dogs for cats
- Use caution when using pharmaceutical drugs.
Treatment and care when appearing jaundice in cats
Must have a veterinarian to examine and specify specific treatment for each case. Cats rest, avoid stress, transmission fluid and electrolyte. Transfusions of blood components if anemic.